[Zope] [ZGotW] Issue #6 (Closed)

Zope Guru of the Week ZGotW@palladion.com
Mon, 06 Mar 2000 11:48:57 US/Pacific

The current issue of "Zope Guru of the Week" has closed:

Issue #6 -- standard_manage_header

    Zen Level:  Disciple (3/8)

 Submitted by:  Dylan Jay djay@innocent.com
 When I create a ZClass with my own management methods they
 will by default use standard_html_header etc. This doesn't look
 like the standard management interface. I think we should have
 a standard way of making all management interfaces look the
 same.  In fact this should be able to be changed for any subset
 of management interfaces so you could for instance change the
 way the standard zope interfaces look.

 *Ed.  I split Dylan's proposed solutions into a separate reply.*

  Reviewed by:  Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Dang!  Another "lead zepplin" topic!

Perhaps everyon was holding off because they expect that the
management interface is merely a short-term, necessary evil, to
be replaced RSN by:

 * The "Zope Studio":http://www.zope.org/Resources/Mozilla/index_html
   project, which uses Mozilla's way cool XUL technology to build
   "Zope-aware" chrome in the browser?

or:

  * The upcoming Model-View-Controller
    "re-archictecture":http://www.zope.org/Resources/Mozilla/ZWiki/ModelViewController
    project, which works to divorce the HTML presentation (the
    "view") from the underlying Python objects (the "model");
    this is enabling technology for ZopeStudio, the
    "ZIE":http://www.zope.org/Members/johanc/ZIE/ZIE-demo cognate
    for InternetExplod^Hrer, a wxPython and XML-RPC client like
    the one Amos Latteier
    "demonstrated":http://www.zope.org/Members/Amos/XML-RPC

or:

  * The "Portal Toolkit":http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK, which
    replaces much of the current management interface with new
    "wizard"-based configuration tools.

I'll close by thanking Dylan Jay for suggesting the topic, and
for his thoughts on potential solutions.

Keep those cards and letters coming!