[Zope] beginner's question: references

Perrin Harkins perrin@primenet.com
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:53:12 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Evan Simpson wrote:
> From: Perrin Harkins <perrin@primenet.com>
> > This is such a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure it out from
> > the docs.  How do I make an object in Zope reference another object?
[...]
> 2.  Store the object as an attribute of the referencing object.  This has to
> be done (I think) from an External Method, since you *aren't* setting a
> property.  You do something like "self.fooref = self.path.to.other.aq_base"
> which DTML doesn't allow.

Thanks, that sounds like what I'm after.  I don't quite understand why
this is not setting a property.  Can you point me to some documentation
that might help explain the difference?

I guess putting in a little Python is no big deal, but it does break my
ultimate goal of letting non-technical people create new classes of
content.  Is there any plan to add inter-object relationships to ZClasses?

- Perrin