[Zope] FYI: large files & linux.

John Goerzen jgoerzen@complete.org
07 Mar 2000 09:14:39 -0600

tsarna@endicor.com (Ty Sarna) writes:

> Even simpler than buying new hardware, switch to a system like NetBSD or
> FreeBSD that has supported large files for years and years :-)

It supports it to no greater or less extent than Linux does.  The
standard library defaults to using an int or a long for *seek calls.
The difference is semantic only, as they're both 32 bits on both
systems anyway.  Even if you assume unsigned (fseek is signed), that's
still 4gb, max.

However, on my Linux/Alpha system, a long is 64 bits.  This
effectively removes the problem.

I submit, therefore, that you are not seeing a Linux problem, but an
x86 problem :-)