[Zope] Zope needs this (and Dynamo has it)

John Goerzen jgoerzen@complete.org
07 Mar 2000 14:47:02 -0600

Alexander Staubo <alex@mop.no> writes:

[snipped]

> Zope doesn't have the flashy packaging and sexiness of a product line
> Dynamo -- which, actually, I strongly urge you (and everybody else in
> this forum) to experience yourself, before you snap back at my again --
> and this affects management decisions. Dynamo is exceedingly sexy, and
> it boasts the kind of bullshit magic that have management and tech
> people alike drooling.

OK, but see you're trying to make Linux something it is not.  Linux is
not about marketing.  It is not about world domination.  We
specifically do not care about this :-)  Now, digicool is a company,
and they probably DO care about this.  Making Zope Free Software is a
great way for them -- and us -- to benefit.  So your comments should
be addressed at them if you want them to make the sale.  Not me, a
Linux hacker.

> As one of my colleagues pointed out, the problem starts with the name.
> (Somebody out there is hyping what they call Linux' next-generating GUI.
> And it's called... GNOME. What's wrong with this picture?) I don't care
> myself, but I recognize the problem.

But see again, Free Software is not about marketing.  The name is
irrelevant to us.  Free Software is about what's *right* and what
*works*.  We leave the marketing to those that want to do it (such as
digital creations, or whomever else).  So again, write to digital
creations' marketing dept. :-)

-- John