[Zope] RE: A zope fear...

jiva@devware.com jiva@devware.com
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:58:07 -0700

Yes, I did get the following response from Drew:

--- snip ---

The easiest way to make changes to all of your SQL methods would be to
export your entire Data.fs into XML format -- then use your magic
text editing software tools.

With respect to version control and configuration management, I have
used the same XML export format and checked this into CVS. Of course,
I feel that XML is human readable... YMMV.

--- snip ---

I agree with this basically, and I can see this as a partial
solution.  Basically, if you were using this in production, you would
want to schedule a script to automatically pull out the XML export
from your site say, once a day, and check it into CVS.  Depending on
your needs and your ambition, you could probably go so far as to go
into particular folders and pull out peices of the site individually
and check those in seperately, that way you could look at "Show me all
objects that have changed since April 10th" or whatever via CVS.  This
would also allow you to rollback to a previous version (ala Software
Configuration Management type stuff) by checking out all peices to a
system from CVS and then importing them back into Zope.  Kinda a
hassle compared to how CVS automates other development environments,
but then, other development environments aren't quite web RADs
either.  At least you CAN export and import the data as XML.  A
similar situation arises with tools like Delphi etc where your forms
are binary files and you can't make global changes to them except via
point and drool^H^H^H^H^Hclick.

Note: I refer to scripting exporting.  At this time, there's no tool I
know of to do this.  You would need to do this yourself.  SO... if
there's anyone out there who is a wiz with the ZODB that could MAKE a
tool to pull this stuff out.  I'd appreciate it.  If it was me, I'd
just script something to pull it through the web interface, but a
non-web oriented, just run on the ZODB tool would be better.