[Zope] Finding crash information

Nick Garcia ngarcia@codeit.com
Thu, 09 Mar 2000 13:47:56 -0800

Jon Prettyman wrote:

> Not on my box.  Completely silent.
>
> -Jon
>
> Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com> writes:
>
> > Do these sudden disapearances leave core files?
> >
> > -Michel

If it's the same error we were seeing, then it isn't that Zope crashes,
it hangs, becomes non-responsive.  It's not spinning, it's just sitting
there not answering.  The reason why (in our case) is because of an
uncaptured exception in the medusa code.  Whenever medusa encounters an
uncaptured exception in a thread, it closes it down.  Well, it was
encountering an uncaptured exception in the main listening thread, so it
shut it down... now Zope isn't listening anymore... so it just sits
there.

If you want debug output without using debug mode, add this code to your
start script (reverse the slashes for Win32, of course):

STUPID_LOG_FILE=$PYTHONHOME/var/event.log
export STUPID_LOG_FILE

Debug information will get stored in event.log.
--
Nick Garcia | ngarcia@codeit.com
CodeIt Computing | http://codeit.com