[Zope] Simple Count Method

Curtis Maloney curtis@umd.com.au
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:13:45 +1100

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Joseph A. Archer wrote:
> To all Zopist,
>
> (I am new to the list, and yes I am going through the archives for the
> answer, but haven't found it yet.)
>
> I have a simple two field table in MySQL, "whowhat", that pulls a user id
> from one table, and a class code from another.  (It tells you "who" has
> "what" classes)
>
> I , being somewhat new to python & Zope, am having the darndest time trying
> to do a simple external method to do a count of how many times the class
> "so-and-so" is in the table. (That way, I know how many people have
> signed-up, and how close I am to the class max.)  I have tried different
> searches.  I have an SQL Method that does:
>
> select * from whowhat
>
> And I also have one that does:

> sselect * from whatwhat where classcode = <dtml-sqlvar class_name type=nb>
>
> I've been trying to create an External Method, but I just can't seem to get
> it to work. (yes, in the Extentions directory)
>
> I need to try to stay away from doing a "select count(classcode)..." in an
> SQL Method if I can.
>
> Any help to this tormented soul would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings,

In my experience, to count the size of an array in ZOPE does not require an
external method, simply "_.len(sqlQuery())".  I use this myself in a few places.

I won't try to guess your reasons for not getting sql to count, but surely it
would be by far the simplest way?

--
Have a better one,
	Curtis.