[Zope] document versions

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:57:45 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, jessica lee tishmack wrote:
> managament system for zope documents.  I have two questions concerning
> this.  One, where might I find some more info concerning this.  And two,

I don't know where the docs are, but I just started using versions
so I can answer this.

In your top level folder, go to the 'add' box and select 'version'
from the items to add.  This will create an object in that folder.
click on the object, and you'll get some management tabs.  You can
'join the version', and you can save or discard changes.  Once you
have joined the version any changes you make will not be visible
to anyone who has not also joined the version.  (Making changes
to an object will lock out any other updates to that object from anyone
not in the version).  When you are satisified that your changes
are working, you 'save' the version, which makes them visible to
the rest of the world.

Each change you make to an object is committed to the zodb in a
transaction, by the way, so even without versions you can
tab.  I'm not quite sure about the rules that determine when
a transaction is burried deeply enough in the undo stack that you
have to undo things above it to get to it, but it is still a
very handy feature.

> what if I want to use my fav editor - say vi or pico...but that's another
> war I don't want to start ;)...instead of the window that zope provides.

Someone is developing a ZopeEdit program that helps with this.  I haven't
looked at it yet.

> IF the file already exists in zope, and then I go and make changes in a
> separate editor, and upload the file, since I am uploading the file, will
> zope keep track of this as just another version of the same file?  Thanks.

Yes, the upload should appear in the undo stack.

--RDM