[Zope] What if you can use Zope on development server only?

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:47:43 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Thompson" <artdruid@hotmail.com>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] What if you can use Zope on development server only?

>      Do I have a misunderstanding of how Zope relates to the web server?
Is
> simple CGI access really enough to install and run Zope?  I was basing my
> understanding on the architecture documentation at
> http://www.zope.org/ZopeArchitecture and
> http://classic.zope.org:8080/Information/Components.

If you use PCGI, Zope will work in a standard CGI environment. PCGI
(Persistent CGI) keeps Zope itself around in memory so that it does not need
to be loaded with each hit. However, you do pay the "fork tax", because the
small PCGI program needs to run. I don't know a lot about fastcgi, but you
may even be able to do that without root and eliminate the fork tax.

>      Yep... that's the tradeoff I figured I would have to accept.  I was
> even thinking I'd have to possibly write my own mirroring script, but
wanted
> to see if there was a better way first.  Do you remember anything else
about
> that product which might help me do a web search for it better (e.g., it
> definitely used the word "mirror", used the word synchronize a lot, etc.).

How 'bout a URL:

http://www.zope.org/Members/rossl/ZMirror

Kevin