[Zope] ZODB or xySQL?

Ragnar Beer rbeer@uni-goettingen.de
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:01:17 +0100

Hello Zopistas out there!

I just stumbled about the threadsafety of different SQL-DAs. I'm
coming from mod_perl + MySQL so it seemed a natural choice for me to
also run Zope with MySQL in the background. I'm doing research (= low
budget) in clinical psychology and have people fill in all kinds of
questionnaires regularly which I have to store somewhere later.
Looking at some past messages it seems to me that free and speedy
MySQL is awfully bottlenecked by MySQLdb and financially-out-of-range
Oracle rules. But how big is the difference? Does anybody know?

It also came to my mind that I might be missing an important feature
of Zope: ZODB. For some reason (lack of marketing?) I just didn't
realize that there is a database behind Zope that I could use to
store my stuff. Last night I read some documentation but I have some
questions left open:

Can I access ZODB via TCP/IP socket to retrieve data for statistical
calculations?

What about performance?

Ragnar Beer