[Zope] dtml-in iteration over a string.split

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:34:06 -0800

Curtis Maloney wrote:

> Annoying, yes... but that's the way somebody chose to go.  I don't know why,
> but it's there.  In fact, if anyone could give me a good reason why it is this
> way, I would be most appreciative.

In the beginning, there was DTML.  DTML did not have expressions as was
designed to look very much like HTML, so names like sequence-item were
chosen.  Later on, expressions were added.  Names like 'sequence-item'
were obviously not going to do, because in a python expression it looks
like a subtraction.  So, the DTML namespace was given the name _, and
given a mapping interface which allowed you to look up names in the
namespace.  Thus was born _['sequence-item'].  _ is a mapping like any
other.

It's really not that bad, just kinda ugly.

-Michel