[Zope] Zope and enterprise data access

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:26:07 -0500

The company I work for is starting to get more requests for web sites which
need to have access to enterprise data.  We have several Java people on
staff and most of these projects are currently being done (or planned to be
done) using JSP/Servlets and Enterprise Java Beans.  The problem that I
have with this solution is that there is very little in the way of content
management available in this environment, without rolling your own.  What I
would really like to be able to do is build the client interface using
Zope, so I can easily blend static content, dynamic content and content
management, with access to enterprise data.  I know that Enterprise Java
Beans are accessible via CORBA, so theoretically it should be possible to
access this data through Zope/Python.

My basic question is this, is there anything available (free or otherwise)
which would make it fairly easy for Zope to interact with something like
Enterprise Java Beans?  Are other people trying to use Zope in an
environment where access to enterprise data is important?  If so, are there
other solutions to this problem?  What I would really like to be able to do
is use Zope in combination with a DBMS to build smaller systems, but when
the need arises, I would like to be able to scale things up to allow for
distributed data object access.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments on this subject?

Thanks.

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
Ann Arbor, MI  48103