[Zope] BIG ZODB - Scalability

Mario Lang mlang@home.delysid.org
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:46:54 +0100

Hi.

I just got the job to find out how we (the technical university Graz)
could build up a large image-database for different users..
Zope came to my mind because of its oject oriented structure.
And because I'd really like to do Zope work at work :).

I now have to find out how Zope can be used with really large
databases.
(100000 to 1mio objects theoretically in the future).

Can anyone provide me with URLs or information on:
The relational Database Storage Manager (couldnt find any references)
  (is this intented for large databases?)
Or splitting the Zope hirarchy into multiple ZODB FileStorage Manager
instances. SO that I could e.g. save on subfolder of the root folder
in on data.fs and the next subfolder in another data.fs

I am thinking of the filesize limit of some operating systems.
2GB isnt really much.

I think that a FileStorage would be better for our content (images),
because performance issues (never saved 20GB in an relational database before :) )

Any help is appreciated,
                 Mario Lang <mlang@home.delysid.org>
Technical University Graz
Department Computing Services