[Zope] Zope does not start completly

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:48:52 -0600

Curtis Maloney <curtis@umd.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Steffen Lemke wrote:
> > Hello there
> >
> > I' ve got some difficulties with the very final step of ZOPE-Installation:
> > I made the start-script as root (-> python wo_pcgi.py) and got all the
> > neccessary scripts. Then I chown and chgrp all files to my ZOPE-user and
> > tried to start up the server. Unfortunately the script has got some
> > endless-loop or so and I have to break (Ctrl-C) in order to get my prompt
> > and logout. I do have access to the server via WWW but only until I break
> > the script.
> >
> > Do you know some hint?
> > Thank you very much!
> >
> > Stef
> >

> If you're using the 'start' script, background it:
>
> $> start &
>
> The ampersand means "background this"

I'm guessing that Steffen is using the "default" start script, which passes the
"-D" parameter to Zope -- it is therefore running in "debug mode", and writing
error messages to the console.  Backgrounding it will work, sort of, but will
leave Zope expecting to write to the controlling tty -- if it goes away (i.e.,
Steffen logs out), then Zope will die hard when trying to write to it.

A better fix is to edit the start script and remove the "-D" from the command
line.  Without the "-D", Zope will daemonize itself, and the backgrounding won't
be needed.

Tres.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com