[Zope] w3m and the management interface

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:33:10 -0800

"R. David Murray" wrote:

> There was a recent mention of using Lynx to access the management
> interface of Zope.  I'd like to use w3m.  It produces a more pleasing
> page given all those little spacer images Zope uses.  Also, it
> automatically launches vi for me when I hit return on the edit
> screen's text input area, which is *way* cool <grin>.
>
> However, it doesn't seem to be handling the management interface
> correctly.  If I descend into a management link, I get the 'view'
> panel for the link instead of the manage_main screen.

This is w3m's fault, it does not send the Authentication header to
frames in a frameset, just to the frameset.  Zope calculates
'manage_workspace' based on various factors, including whether or not
you are authorized to access the managment view.  Since you are
effectivly 'anonymous' in the frame it shows you the anonymous view.
Uncheck 'View' for anonymous and you will probably get a 401
Unauthorized.

>  Worse,
> I tried to 'rename' an index_html method, and it renamed the
> index_html in the *parent* folder!  This is most weird.  Anyone
> know what Zope could be emitting that w3m is not handling correctly?

I don't think it's Zope's fault.  In this case, w3m is probably ignoring
or not understanding the <base> tag.

-Michel