[Zope] Zope hosting

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:59:51 -0600

Marco Mariani <m.mariani@imola.nettuno.it> wrote:

> Hallo! I'm thinking about using zope to develop some sites.
>
> May you please advise me about a Zope hoster?
> I've looked at those listed on zope.org, but some of them offer
> just 20MB or have most of the site written in german.
> One of them I can't even reach, others don't mention zope on
> their pages, or are a bit on the pricey side.
>
> I need a flexible, expandable solution. I may need 40MB and two
> domains for a start, and more in the future. I have to install
> my products and use pgsql or mysql.

I am happily using CodeIt.  They offer several options above "basic" Zope
hosting:

  * Install your own products (this is their "professional" option).

  * Add disk space cheaply (they quoted me $0.50/month for each added 10 Mb).

  * Add domains, mapping them to separate Zope folders, for $10/mo each.

> Shell access is welcome, too..

They don't offer shell access -- I FTP products, export files, etc., into a
"home directory" with a slightly oddball layout.

> Do you have some suggestion?
> Which ISPs do you think are best?
>
>  - OR -
>
> Do you think I'd better install zope as a normal user, on one of
> those cheap ISPs that give me 500MB ?

Zope wants to be a long-running process, with significant CPU and RAM
requirements;  most ISPs don't appreciate you running such a beast, so ask
first.

Tres.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com