[Zope] Passing data to/from Python

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:26:16 -0500

Hey Mark,

This is your lucky day... Zope does this without even blinking... I
would say (and without starting a flame war) that Zope's ability to
easily connect to databases is one its best features. To the
questions...

1) Gadfly is the example. You connect to anything that there is a
ZSQL connection product for (Oracle, Sybase?, PostGreSQL, MySQL,
Gadfly)

2) You get back the data and can do anything you want with it. You
can parse it, calculate it (although you might want to look into
doing some of it in SQL) or just spit it out. Authentication has
nothing to do with what you do with the data.

3) It is easy in DTML, just do a <dtml-in> to go over the list.

4) Yup. You build a form and send that form to a DTML method that
processes the form. If you are super slick you have it in the same
DTML method.

Don't worry about thinking in Python terms. I came from Python..
thought Zope was going to be easy, found out it hard than studied up
a bit and now respect it. There are a LOT of things you can do in
Zope, most of them "like" things you do in Python, just stated a bit
different. The DTML reference guide is your buddy. You read that and
come back here when you are truly stuck.

Now go Zope...

:)