[Zope] img src (newbie)

R. David Murray R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:48:01 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, jessica lee tishmack wrote:
> Is there a way to do this using Zope-zserver, and not Zope-pcgi?
> When I started this, I was just using the Zserver....but now that I need
> to include calls to cgi programs for the sake of a couple images, I am
> thinking I will needs Zope-pcgi..

You only need Zope-pcgi if the cgi calls need to come off of the
same IP as the rest of your zope.  If your Zope site is, say,
www.mysite.com, then you could put your image cgi stuff into an
Apahce responding to the an IP under the name of, say, images.mysite.com.
This would be your maximum performance route: direct calls to
Zserver for the Zope stuff, and direct calls to Apache for the cgi
images.

You only need the separate IP, by the way, if both need to be listening
on port 80 (say because people from behind a firewall need to access
your site).  If you can deal with either one listening on another
port, then Zope at least can deal with that (I imagine Apache can too,
but I've never tried it.)

> If this is the case, I will need to uninstall the Zope-Zserver (if I try
> to have both, there is a conflict) and install Zope-pcgi.  Does this mean

What have you run into that makes you think there is a conflict?
When you run Zope using pcgi, you are still running Zserver.  It's
just listening to pcgi calls instead of port 80 (or whatever) calls.
It is certainly possible to run Zserver such that it will respond
both to direct calls and to pcgi calls.  This is the way it is set
up by default, at least under Unix if you compile Zope using
w_pcgi: Zserver listens on port 8080 for http traffic, and also
communicates with Apache using pcgi.

Reinstalling to add pcgi support is like upgrading to a new version
of Zope: copy your var directory (actually just Data.fs should be
enough) to a safe place, do the install, and then copy your saved
var overtop of the new one built by the install.  You'll also need
to reinstall any Products that you downloaded and installed.

--RDM