[Zope] web folders - advice requested...

Joachim Werner joachim.werner@iuveno.de
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:02:41 +0200

Am Die, 28 Mär 2000 schrieb Kevin August  Meinert:

> I want to implement a "web folders" style interface.
>
> For examples see: www.yahoo.com, www.netscape.com,
> http://directory.google.com/
> I think http://directory.google.com/ is the best example, but
> anyway...
> I'd like to be able to edit the entries with a web browser, and be
> able to attach files to the tree - like PDF docs, and jpg/gif/png
> pictures.
>
> I'm guessing I could do it with MySQL...  what does everyone think?
> Is there a Zope plugin that already does this.
> Does someone have some code laying around you could send me?
>

> Im basically looking for a good place to focus my efforts on, for
> now.
>
> Thanks!
> email me at KevinMeinert@bigfoot.com
>

> Kevin

I don't think you'd need any Zope products or additional code for a basic
implementation of what you want to do.

Just create the folder structure you want to have in Zope. Then you can add all
your documents with the management interface. To create the directory view, you
only need an index_html DTML Document that lists the folder structure (either
using the tree-tag or some dtml-in construction).

For higher performance, you can use the ZCatalog to index the folder structure
and use code similar to the one on Zope.org to list the topic pages (e.g. all
the news on the Zope.org news page and all the products in the download area
are collected from the site using the ZCatalog.

I wouldn' use MySQL for that particular task because it fits the ZODB (Zope
object Database) perfectly (many reads, few writes).

You could also look into some of the products on the download page. I recall
that there might be some "out-of-the-box" directory solutions.

Joachim.