[Zope] Some more strange permission/role stuff

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:07:47 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Andy Dustman wrote:

> 2000-03-29T21:23:04 PROBLEM(100) GUF gudid is

A GUF object has just been instantiated. The squirrely character needs
to be unique and is used as a key in the cookie cache. Junk debug message
basically.

> The first three messages seem okay to me. The problem is that it is only
> validating my user for the Anonymous role, and from then it seems to be
> working as it should: It pops up a login document. The login stuff and
> authentication seems to work properly. But it is not getting the correct
> Roles from the top-level acl_users. The superuser works as you would
> expect, until you look at the debugging info.

Its a bug. I'm putting together a patch release as we speak, and I hope
to have this fixed (next on my list). I was hoping that the 2.1.6 release
would make all this crawling-up-the-tree business unnecessary but the
change proposed doesn't seem to have been implemented.
(see http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2000-January/002940.html )
I vaguely remember that the LoginManager for the PTK was going to make
use of this, but I havn't had time to pay attention for the last month or
so :-(

> The difference here is on the first try (with andy), it crawls up twice
> and fails each time, but with the superuser, it again crawls up twice
> (gets just the Anonymous role at first), but on the second crawl,
> validates the correct roles (note that manager appears twice).

The Anonymous role being returned the first time is a recursion check
kicking in - during the authentication stage, we need to access your
methods in the GUF, which kicks in the authentication system again...

> Is this a bug (whose bug is it, anyway?) or a feature?

My bug.

--
 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au