[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Zope in Jpython

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:45:00 -0800

"J. Atwood" wrote:

> Ok.. so I opened up a can of worms.

Nah... it's on topic.

> Thanks to everyone for setting me straight. I do think, though, that
> performance and benchmarking should be an issues on the tips of DC tongues.
> I have been doing a lot of benchmarking (and will publish results soon)
> trying to figure just where the bottlenecks are (DTML, references, SQL,
> size, caching). The good and bad news is that there seems to be no
> difference in many of the different tests. I can get a MAX of 40 requests
> per second, and that, is that.
>
> The reason I asked about JPython and performance was because I get a lot of
> developers telling me that Servlets are much faster.

That is because there is no high level framework with servlets.  There
is no standard authentication framework, acquisition framework, standard
object/relational model, template language, through the web managment
system, object publishing over multiple protocols... servlets don't come
with an HTTP, FTP, PCGI and a FastCGI server.  All of this you get with
Zope out of the box.

> Now, that being said I
> am about to set up a website with servlets and pound on it till it bleeds to
> see if it is true.

It may very well be.  With the subsequent open sourcing of ZEO however,
you could scale your Zope application invisibly to a hundred machines,
how far can  you scale that Servlet without making any changes to it at
all (or not paying money)?  Requests per second is only one tiny factor
of scale, and when you scale beyond a handful of machines it becomes
less and less important.

-Michel