[Zope] Zope install & ./start problem...

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:48:16 -0800

"Eric L. Walstad" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed Zope but can't get it to start properly.  Here's the
> output:
>
> [root@frankenstein Zope]# python w_pcgi.py
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/usr/local/Zope/z2.py", line 586, in ?
>     pf = open(PID_FILE, 'w')
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/Zope/var/Z2.pid'
> [root@frankenstein Zope]#
>
> FYI, there is no '/usr/local/Zope/var/Z2.pid' file.

That's because Zope can't write it (that's what the 'w' means).  The
user you are running Zope as (if you are root, Zope turns itself into
nobody) does not have permission to write to your var/ directory.

> Q1.  Why is Zope looking for Z2.pid if I installed it WITH PCGI?

The Z2.pid file contains the process id of Zope, it allways writes it
and has nothing to do with PCGI.

> Q2.  If Zope still needs Z2.pid with PCGI, how do I get the file there?

Zope will put it there if it can write to the var/ directory.

-Michel