[Zope] Zope + Linux + Microsoft SQL Server7 ?

Andrew Kenneth Milton akm@mail.theinternet.com.au
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:32:43 +1000 (EST)

+----[ Chris McDonough ]---------------------------------------------
| No, unfortunately, it's not possible.  You can use the Sybase database
| adapter to talk to SQL Server 6.5 from Linux.  SQL Server 7 evidently
| has a different wire protocol which prevents it from working against the
| Sybase DA.  There is no ODBC support for Linux in Zope, and though there
| have been rumblings about getting such a thing going one way or another,
| nothing concrete has happened.

It is very possible to get ODBC connectivity using the OpenLink UDBC Multi-Tier
drivers and ZODBCDA. You will have to do some minor hacking, and if you want
access to any fields longer than 128 bytes, some larger hacking :-)
(There is I think a major bug in SQLGetString in sql.c too that causes
Zope to crash -- I think I have fixed it... at least w.r.t. the UDBC drivers,
sz should be SDWORD [for OpenLink drivers anyway]).

The UDBC drivers are thread-safe (so they say).

I have a FreeBSD box quite happily talking to MS-SQL-7, I implemented this
for a client, so I can tell you how to do it, but, not what I did to get it to
work.The joys of contract programming.

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |