[Zope] Local FS manage_addFolder woes

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 02 May 2000 10:04:37 +0100

Hi Jonothan,

Cheers for the detailed response :-)

> Folder object instead of the LocalDirectory object. The self parameter is
> passed automagically by the Zope machinery, and is not affected by using
> dtml-with. If you ask me, this is one of several serious problems with the
> current dtml-with  implementation.

I have to admit, this is a bit beyond my Zope Zen, but maybe you should raise it
with DC or chuck it in the collector? How do think dtml-with should work?
I guess passing the self of the object specified by dtml-with?
Can you think of any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

> A better fix is to write an external method.
>
> Example:
>
> from OFS.Folder import Folder
>
> def addFolder(self, id, title=''):
>   ob = Folder()
>   ob.id = id
>   ob.title = title
>   self._setObject(id, ob)

Could this be added to the localFS product? It strikes me as very useful, along
the lines of manage_upload :-)

> Sorry if that was more information than you needed. Hope this helps you solve
> your problem.

No, no, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it all and better
still, provide a working solution :-)
I now have a better understanding of how Zope works, something that was
confusing me (why it worked through the management interface but not DTML) no
longer is and I have a solution to my problem :-))

Many thanks,

Chris