[Zope] FileSystem Storage

John Sutherland garion@garion.mnb.tzo.net
Tue, 2 May 2000 15:24:45 -0400

> > Regarding archiving and distributing Data.fs files very efficient
> > algorithms specific to Data.fs can be written.
>
> This is what I'm talking about.  Splitting the Data.fs into pieces and
> maybe even each object has it's own piece with revisions of that object
> stored in it's piece.  This offers some interesting pluses.  Anyone see
> anything really glaringly wrong with this?

I've been sorta following this conversation for a bit now.. Now I'm not a
python/zope expert, nor a filesystem expert, and I haven't even looked at
the code.. but I do see a couple things that could be wrong with this
approach..

1. Number of file handles.. More resources required.. What happens when
several 1000 objects are needed to be access, and you have to close some of
the ones you have open? More complexity.
2. amount of time determining which file to open/access.. With only having
a single file, you don't have to make any desicions. Speed by simplicity.

Do the other advantages of being FS based outwiegh this? I don't know..

--John