[Zope] ZOPE Benchmark

Ostermeyer@t-online.de Ostermeyer@t-online.de
03 May 2000 07:55 GMT

BZ's ZOPE vrs Tomcat benchmarking reminds on another thing I'd noticed
before, but didn't investigate any further:

At that time I was playing around a little with Servlets. I'd run an
file upload servlet with Jigsaw's Servlet Engine. (Jigsaw is another
HTTP-Server written in Java. It's available for free on the W3C's web site.)
I used the com.oreilly.servlet package to implement the servlet. It
turned out, that uploading a 3.5 MB binary file by the servlet took about 42
seconds. Using ZOPE to upload the same file took about 17 seconds on
the same machine.

This is of course far from a real benchmark. But the results are stable
and seem to proof BZ's scores. I don't know if this shows ZOPE's
superior implementation over other (Java) web servers. My opinion is, that it
must have something to do with the performance of Java and Python byte
code, right? Have anybody a comparison of that kind?

Andreas Ostermeyer