[Zope] Capacity Handling?

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@thisbox.com
Wed, 3 May 2000 07:41:17 -0500

> The question:
> Over the past few months, we have accumulated around 2 GIGs of articles.
> This trend is expected to continue. Can Zope and ZCatalog handle this
> kind of load?

I dont see why not! I would imagine it depends on the amount of full-text
for each object that is indexed and how many objects are free-textable.  I'm
not quite sure about ZCatalog and large amount of full-text, for object
indexes ZCatalog would be best bet.  large amounts of 'free-text' -- not
quite sure.

> Will the searching capabilities be shot in the ass if I
> stored the articles as external files? (Does ZCatalog even know about
> those things?)

no, ZCatalog does not know about external files (out of the box)

> OR, should I stick with the articles in the filesystem
> with ht://dig like we've got now, and just build the interface to
> ht://dig in Zope?

we use Ultraseek http://ultraseek.com/products/ultraseek/ultratop.htm at
work (which is available for the low low price of a 1000$ for x files
indexed) and there is a Zope Ultraseek DA (havent used it yet)!

I've run across a potentially really kick ass indexer, havent used it but it
has a really nice cover!  its called Udmsearch - http://mysearch.udm.net/ -
its actively developed, searches all types of sources (news, ftp, http, FS,
databases!!) and its OSS! <- I will be using this in the next 3 months

ht://dig I believe is in PERL, (yuk!) <- resentful over doing a PERL project
right now

~runyaga