[Zope] Re: Zope Mailing Archives Anomalies

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 04 May 2000 18:56:22 +0100

Hi Dennis :-)

Dennis Nichols wrote:

> Greetings - I continue to find your Zope email archives very useful. Thanks
> for the effort of providing them. I've noticed two problems with the
> search, both illustrated by this example:
>
> For the mailing list Zope-PTK
> Search for           tree
> Set "sort by" to     Date, newest first
>
> The results returned have these two problems
>
> 1. They are not sorted by date (or anything
>     else that I can determine)

There was a problem here, which I've fixed, but messages won't always be exactly
sorted by date. Unfortunately (beyond my control) the 'sort-by-date' in the
search results uses the last modified date of the document in the database. This
is not always the same as the delivered date from the MTA but is _usually_ in
the same order and so doesn't make a difference.

> 2. The report of the total matches found shown
>     on the first page (26) is not the same
>     as the report of the total matches found
>     reported on the second and following pages
>     (55).

This is true. The number of matches returned is an estimate (again, something
from Lotus Notes and so beyond my control... which is why I prefer Zope ;-)
which for some reason is inaccurate on the first page if more than about 50
matches are found but then becomes accurate once you view the second page.

> I do not believe these problems are specific to the example I cite.

Correct, the above issues apply to all the archives.

I hope these problems aren't serious enough to impact the usefulness of the list
archives :S

Thanks for pointing them out,

Chris

PS: The archives, for anyone who doesn't know yet, are at:
http://zope.nipltd.com/public/lists.html