[Zope] Local FS

Jason Spisak 444@hiretechs.com
Fri, 05 May 2000 00:13:02 GMT

Kent Polk writes:

> On 2 May 2000 14:15:02 -0500, Jason Spisak wrote:
> >Jonothan:
> >
> >I'm not sure if you have been folowing the thread between Michael B. and
> >myself, but I would love your insight.
> >
> >How far away from being an alternative form of storage for Zope is LocalFS?
> > I'm talking ZClass instances mostly.  A robust data storage facility for
> >Zope objects in files rather than a sigle large file.  With the RIPP
> >(ZPattern and the like) the backend is going to cease to make a difference
> >to propertysheets, and having the local filesystem (XFS/ReiserFS) for write
> >intensive stuff is a must have for Zope.
> >
> >Just wondering what your opinion on it is.
>
> As long as the data is *only* changed from inside Zope, it shouldn't
> be a large problem. I wrote a few dumb 'LocalFS'-type file-system
> products which are queryable (and mineable) and also return ZRDB
> Results objects, including a couple of folderish directory classes
> which can be easily walked via dtml-tree.  However, there is a big
> problem with object caching if you plan on a: caching and b: updating
> via the filesystem.  I never did figure a way around those problems.

Hmmm. Interesting.  I am looking into implementing the RIPP model first in
a system, then allowing the backend source to be more write intensive for
instances.  The Multiple ZODB files seems like a very back burner type
issue.  It was moved over to zope-dev as well.

All my best,

Jason Spisak
CIO
HireTechs.com