[Zope] Images & Zope, Please help!

W O'Neil bill@igic.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 14:29:17 -0400

Hello!

New to zope and I'm looking for some practical advice on how to handle image
heavy portions of a zope site.

I have looked through the HOWTOs and read some comments about creating
'pseudo' images or zope pointers to static image urls and using those rather
than storing all images in the DB.  This seemed intriguing but I was looking
for some practical experience/advice.

Still I'm working on a moderate traffic site on a relatively low powered
server (you take what you can get) and I'm concerned about always serving
images out of the ZODB.

As far as 'pseudo' images go, storing these pointer IMG tags rather than the
images sacrifices some flexibility of setting ALT/WIDTH/HEIGHT tags AND then
requires a server redirect as zope is currently set up as the apache
webserver default, with anything coming to http://sitename/static/ going to
the ws root.  This seems somewhat clunky.

I suppose I could 'hardcode' the static image tags in document
header/footers but this still encounters the redirect.

Anyone have any hard, real experience?  Stories?  Advice?  Is this a valid
concern or am I making too much of it?  Should I just store the images in
the DB?  I have no problem storing  banners and such in the DB its the site
template graphics that I'm talking about here.

Please let me know of your experiences of any articles/archives I may be
missing on this subject.

Thanks,
bill
bill@igic.com