[Zope] Re: SSL and ProxyPass

anser anser@pobox.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 20:12:56 -0400

Ragnar Beer <rbeer@uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> >Using Apache's ProxyPass  with ZServer seems much easier than
> the CGI modal.
> >Is there any reason not to use this?
> >http://www.zope.org/Members/anser/apache_zserver
>
> I haven't found anything in the HowTo that says how one would deal
> with SSL so I _guess_ it's not possible. Is that true?

With Apache, it is more usually the case that unless someone specifically
says something is NOT possible, there is a way to do it. :)

ProxyPass creates a complete separate TCP connection on the backside.
Assuming you want to use an SSL connection between the users and your Apache
front end, and a non-SSL connection between the Apache proxy and your Zope
back server, Apache does this easily.  Just make sure Apache is built with
SSL support, and add the SSLEngine, SSLCertificateFile, and
SSLCertificateKeyFile directives to the overall config or VirtualHost
section.