[Zope] how to run that Boring product??

Richard Folwell richard@folwell.com
Sun, 14 May 2000 21:35:29 +0100

> Don't want to seem obtuse, but how do I see what the Boring product does??
> I did place the source to /lib/python/Products/Boring  and Zope recognized
> it, but then what am I supposed to do..? Is there any step-by-step
> documentation on it?

Create a new Folder called "Test".  In that Folder create a Boring product.  You will be prompted to
supply an id and title:

id = "BoringTest"
title = "Boring Test"

You will now see the new instance of the Boring product appear in the contents of your folder.
Click on the product, then choose the "View" tab, which shows you how the page would appear if you
called it as:

http://<my Zope root>/Test/BoringTest

You will see that the page has a title, and a single line of text, which is - err - boring.

Next move is to look through the Python code for the product, and understand how the product was
created.  It has been kept deliberately simple (a.k.a. "boring") so that it can be understood by
someone starting out writing products in this way.  Also note that this is not the only way now that
products can be created - check out the documentation on ZClasses (search on the Zope site), which
have been designed to make the process of creating new products much simpler.  There are step by
step instructions on how to create a sample product, to get you started.

Richard