[Zope] subfolder wrong absolute_url

Steve Alexander s.alexander@lancaster.ac.uk
Tue, 16 May 2000 12:02:26 +0100

Christian Scholz wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
> > Zope is an Object Publishing Environment, so the conventions for files
> > don't necessarily apply.
> >
> > One route is to say that any object that may have sub-objects shall be
> > refered to by "url/", and any requests to "url" shall be redirected to
> > "url/".
>
> Nevertheless the missing / are the problem why tools like wget or pavuk
> for mirroring Zope sites are not working.. They create files when getting
> url and when trying to download url/stuff then stuff cannot be created.

The programs wget and pavuk use heuristics to decide how best to map the
namespace and data available on the web server through URLs onto a local
filesystem.

Most web servers make their internal filesystem available to the rest of
the internet via HTTP. Zope's internal structure is very much more
complex than a simple filesystem. Therefore, the mapping of what is
inside the server to a filesystem is incomplete.
I don't think Zope should endeavour to look more like a filesystem; I
think the tools we use to interact with web sites need more tunable
heuristics.

Perhaps the best sort of tool for taking a "snapshot" of a Zope instance
would be a Zope Product that is given a root URL, and returns a .tar.gz
of the directory structure and files in that snapshot.

Otherwise, why not patch wget or pavuk so that they treat everything as
a potential folder, with the data in an index.html file?
You could then run a second pass program to simplify any folders that
only contain index.html into just a file.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer