[Zope] FYI: Some changes on Zope.org

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 17:06:21 -0400

(not trying to flame this, just open discussion.. or  slow Friday.. either
way!)

> But they're not promoting a web server technology.

Actually Dell is.... They are selling servers with NT 2000 and promoting
"uptime" for the all of them.

> Likewise.

BOA is promoting a 24/7 banking solution. Neither 24 nor 7.

> I think there are different scales of activity here.  Can we compare
> them with a Zope site that is under a similar load, and has a similar
> level of complexity?

Absolutely different scales. We have two Billion dollar companies promoting
services that they cannot offer 24/7 against DC and one webserver serving up
millions of hits a month to thousands of very ACTIVE users.

> Yes, for maintenance.  I was just wondering whether it should be allowed
> to happen because of alpha testing.

Actually the downtime this afternoon is not Alpha testing. Paul referred to
the end of the Alpha of ZEO and about implementing it on Zope.org. ZEO,
though, has been around for about a year and is certainly not as Alpha as
some "alphas."

> I believe that that remains a constant source of embarrassment to MS.

Yup.. and a constant source of amusement for me! :)