[Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 19:32:30 -0400

Howdy gang.  Below is an announcement that we'll start distributing over
the next 24 hours.  I wanted to let you folks see it first.  In summary:
Perl Methods.

This isn't a press release, which we'll be doing in the run-up to the
O'Reilly Open Source conference in July, when the code is closer to
being available.

-----------

Digital Creations, creators of the Open Source Zope application server,
announced today that it is teaming with ActiveState, a leading provider
of
Internet programming software, to make Perl a scripting language for
Zope.

Perl is the predominant scripting language for Internet applications and
is
a key success story for the Open Source software movement. Zope is
written
in Python, the fastest growing Open Source scripting language.

"It is clear that the strength of Zope realizes the future architecture
of
the Web," says Paul Everitt, CEO of Digital Creations. "This dynamic
architecture, and the people working with it, are a fantastic match for
scripting languages. Thus it is natural that Digital Creations would
team
with ActiveState to make Perl a scripting language for Zope."

"Zope is a powerful content management system that we use internally,"
said
Dick Hardt, CEO of ActiveState. "By adding the power of Perl to Zope, we
will be able to leverage all the existing Perl technology that we have
as
well as bring the worlds of Python and Perl closer together."

Under this agreement, ActiveState will get Python and Perl to run in the
same application. More specifically, Perl programmers can code critical
pieces of business logic in Zope solutions.

"The Perl for Zope project brings the worlds of the two most important
open
source programming languages together," stated Gisle Aas, Senior
Developer,
ActiveState. "Python programmers will be able to directly take advantage
of
the large collection of reusable Perl program modules, like DBI, found
on
CPAN.  Perl programmers will be able to program and customize the Zope
web
application server using their favorite language."

The initial developer release of Perl For Zope will coincide with
the O'Reilly Open Source Software Convention in July 2000.  For more
information on the project, please visit the Perl For Zope project
page at http://www.zope.org/Wikis/zope-perl/.

Contact Information

  For Digital Creations, contact Paul Everitt, paul@digicool.com,
  540.371.6909x102.  For ActiveState, contact Lori Pike,
  lorip@activestate.com, 604.713.8433.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
http://www.zope.org/