[Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.russ.ru
Thu, 25 May 2000 13:55:30 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Chris...

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Chris McDonough wrote:
> Honestly I'm sort of surprised that there is such a strong reaction to

   A year ago I resigned from a web development company because they forced
me to write Perl. I switched to Python and was and is very happy about it.
I don't want to see a line of Perl. And after all DC annonced Perl Methods!
   How do you think I can feel about it? I resigned (i.e. - spent my money,
nervous, my time to switch to another company) - and what I found now? Perl
again.
   Well, I can see good points here. Perl methods probably will attract
more users. But I can see bad points, too. What if my perl developer
resigned? Should I pick up his code? I don't want, I want Python. Should I
spent a lot of time manually converting his code to Python Method and debug
it? "There is always too many ways to do it" - it is Perl motto, not
Python. I am pretty sure Zope shouldn't has too many scripting languages.
Many protocols - yes, it is very good. But many languages? No, that's bad.

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd@phd.russ.ru