[Zope] syndication??

Webmaster webmaster@ohiohistory.org
Thu, 25 May 2000 11:13:01 -0400

A few weeks ago I went to an Allaire Spectra seminar (Spectra is Allaire's
$15,000 Zope). It was a very nice presentation and the fundamental
principles were quite similar. I have played around with Spectra and I found
it to be super clunky with waaaaay to many steps from point A to point B.
Not to mention the fact that it is only "object like". I could go on but
this is not meant to be a comparison study.

However, with that said, there was one particular "out-of-the-box" feature
that really impressed me. In spectra you can take and "object" (article,
image, etc) and set it up for syndication. One of the syndication options is
to send the "object" via email at a set time. So you could have a news page
summary set up to send itself out to a distribution email list on a certain
day.

The concept is simple enough, but I just don't know how I could do the same
thing in Zope. I am setting up a system where daily articles can be entered
weeks in advance and will only appear on the web site when the date matches
their "go live date" (easy). But I would also like the article to be emailed
to my distribution email list on its "go live date".

Is anyone doing this? If so could you enlighten me on how?

Thanks!!

-Jamey