[Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 16:31:17 +0100

Chris McDonough wrote:

> This is pretty silly.
>
> >    Very soon we'll be forced, 'cause most Products will be in
> > Perl (yse,
> > I've read the FAQ and saw "no Perl Products"; it's temporary,
> > mark you).

I have to say, I'm not convinced it is. Providing Perl methods is like
drilling a hole through a dyke wall. By getting loads of perl
programmers on board, you suddenly have a large userbase wishing they
can do more in perl, so you implement perl products. (yes, I've read the
FAQ too, hence my politicians comment...)

This userbase gets into hacking the core and bring perl into there.

Suddenly Zope is a total mess of perl and python and the whole community
shifts onto something cleaner leaving DC high and dry and spoiling a
perfect solution...

pessimistic, I know, but pessimism if often appropriate in computing...

Chris