[Zope] Re: [Zope-Annce] ANN: Perl For Zope

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 25 May 2000 21:17:16 +0200 (CEST)

Heiko Stoermer writes:
 > Zopistas,
 >
 > Paul Everitt wrote:
 > >
 > > Digital Creations, creators of the Open Source Zope application server,
 > > announced today that it is teaming with ActiveState, a leading provider
 > > of
 > > Internet programming software, to make Perl a scripting language for
 > > Zope.
 > All I can say for myself is this:
 > I know several people - myself included - who moved from perl to
 > python/java/c++ for many very good reasons.
 >
 > What are the benefits?
 > - being able to use DBI when I have Zope Database connectors?
 > - finally having people doing obfuscated perl contests again in their
 > products, when I was just glad to having gotten rid of all this?
There are many Internet Sites using lots of Perl.
If you allow them to use Zope and retain lots of their Perl infrastructure,
you have a much better chance to convert them to Zope.

This, e.g., is the case with the company, I work for.

Dieter