[Zope] Re: [Zope-Annce] ANN: Perl For Zope - why I'm bummed

Andrew Kenneth Milton akm@mail.theinternet.com.au
Fri, 26 May 2000 11:46:18 +1000 (EST)

+----[ Roman Milner ]---------------------------------------------

| Well, I don't think that analogy applies directly.  People will ask,
| "do you know zope", and in order to say yes - I will need to know
| perl.  The answer "yes except for the perl bits" won't fly with an
| employer.
|
| Linux is different.  Saying "I know linux" generally means
| you know how to administer it - not how to code in every language
| available to it.

Do you know UNIX? "Only the Linux bits" is that your answer? I wouldn't
hire you based on that.

Zope is to UNIX, not to Linux.

Nearly everything you want to deal with in the IT industry is fragmented.
Do you know C? (ANSI and K&R ?)
If someone wants you to maintain Perl code they will specifically ask about
Perl, the way they will specifically ask about Solaris or HPUX not just
UNIX (although they might if they think you actually have the capacity to
apply your skills to another variant).

The sad fact of the matter is that there is more concern for people's
personal welfare, than that of the project as a whole. When in fact, what
is good for Zope is good for the community.

Zope is open source, if you don't like Perl, and it morally offends
you, branch the code and keep your own Python-only version running. If
you don't think this is feasible, ask yourself why, and then rethink why
other language support in Zope is a GoodThing(tm) (TCL ? mmm acs integration)

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |