[Zope] Q: Using WebDav to edit Zope DTML Methods.

Graham Heyes heyes@jlab.org
Tue, 30 May 2000 20:04:38 -0400

> Martijn Pieters wrote:
>
> This is because according to the WebDAV spec, documents are retrieved using a
> plain 'GET' command, which is exactly the same as what browsers do.
>
> However, the spec also provides for a way to find out where to get the source
> of the document found at a specific URL, via the so-called Source Link. Zope
> provides this link, but I have yet to find a client that'll honour it and give
> you easy access to it.
>
> The relevant sections in the WebDAV spec are:
>
>    http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc2518.html#sec-5.4
>
> and
>
>    http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc2518.html#sec-13.1
>
> Now, I haven't seen either WebDAV client, if they support this feature, please
> let us know!

That's OK, it turns out the project that the web site is documenting is
partly Java so I know a lot of Java. With the info you have given me I
can probably modify the sources to DAVExplorer so that it gets the
source rather than the rendered document. I had thought that maybe I was
missing something in my Zope config. Perhaps it would have been better
if I had, less work  ;^)

I have been using a very nice HTML editor under Linux, called Quanta+,
unfortunately it can't open anything except local files. That's fine
when I'm at work since I can use ZOPEEdit (ftp) or LocalFS. (LocalFS
doesn't behave well with trees and other navigation products so I try to
avoid it). The problem is that from home I can't use ftp becaues of the
firewall. I've tried to tunnel through ssh but that doesn't work for me.
I've been looking at WebDAV or writing something using ZClient but my
python is very rusty.

If anyone has any comments or a solution to my problem, editing DTML
through a firewall using something other than netscape, please let me know.

Regards to all,

                     Graham

Beware of Geeks bearing GIFS. http://www.jlab.org/coda Jefferson lab DAQ group