[Zope] Strange Zope behavior/Instability

Rob Sporleder rsporleder@openave.com
Wed, 31 May 2000 12:27:02 -0700

I received a server not responding error. We lost connectivity twice on
Friday as well. I setup a script to restart the server every X minutes so we
wouldn't have to worry about it over the weekend. I removed the cronjob on
Tuesday morning and it was fine until early Wednesday morning when it went
down three times in 30 minutes.

Thanks,
Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of Jason
Spisak
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 12:10 PM
To: rsporleder@openave.com
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Strange Zope behavior/Instability

Rob Sporleder:

> For reasons unknown we lost http connectivity to our Zope server three
times
> last night.

When you say lost connectivity, do you mean the browsers gave you back a
'Server Not Resonding' message, or was is as if Zope was just spinning it's
wheels?  If it was the latter, how long did you wait to see if you did get
a response? 1 minute, 10, 30?

>I've checked the http logs and, as I suspected, didn't find
> anything unusual around the time we lost connectivity. The Python
processes
> are still running and everything looks normal except for the connectivity
> problem. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? I haven't
> found anything.

This happened to me, but it caused a single process to chew CPU.  Since you
noticed no such chewing, I'll bet it's not the DTML decapitation bug.

> Here are some specifics about our setup...
>
> version of python:
> 1.5.2
>
> operating system:
> Linux 2.2.12-20smp (Redhat 6.1)
>
> services running on machine:
> MySQL
> 2 instances of Zope
> Python
>
> machine specifics:
>
> CPU: 0.04
> MEM: 31M of 512M
> Swap: 528688K free
> Disk Space: GB's available on all partitions
> Hardware: 598 Mhz Pentium III, 4 17.4 GB SCSI hard disks
>
> version of Zope:
> 2.1.4
>
> Thanks,
> Rob