[Zope] Zope.org down?

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:38:42 -0500

Dennis Nichols wrote:

> At 11/1/00 03:22 PM, Phil Harris wrote:
> >Subject says it all
>
> Well, not here but it does seem to have fallen back one or more days.

I just sent a message explaining what happened to this list.

> I'm also curious about the zope.org site performance. Zope is said to
> capable of a million hits per day on commodity hardware, yet zope.org
> receives only about 20% of that on its busiest days. This would not be
> remarkable except that the response times from zope.org seem to usually be
> 10 seconds or so. I am on a T-1 line and 13 hops and 80ms from the zope.org
> server.

My current tracking shows that zope.org is pretty snappy until the
server gets attacked from a bunch of spiders.  Because zope.org has a
huge quantity of pages (500+MB of (packed) content and climbing), and
because objects get loaded into ram as they get accessed, accessing
*everything* on the site multiple times causes zope to load things in &
out a lot, causing it to slow down.

IOW, if you have a zope running with, say, 100 mb of content (that's
2048 50 kb pages) on a box with, say 256mb of ram, and you have your
caching policy set very liberally, then you should be able to hit 30
requests per second, or 2.5 million hits per day.

Zope.org will be on hardware that stretches the notion of "commodity"
soon, but it will be sufficient such that all 500mb of our objects can
be floating about in ram if need be.  This should improve our
performance drastically.

Hope that helps,

--
-mindlace-