[Zope] Re: [Zope-Annce] November 8th Zope Weekly News

Gregor Hoffleit gregor@hoffleit.de
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:44:43 +0100

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 11:56:28PM -0500, emf wrote:
>  How Many Zopatistas?
>
>   Zope gets downloaded from zope.org 12-15,000 times a month.
>   It has risen steadily over the last year and a half.  Zope
>   has been downloaded roughly 200,000 times since version 2.0.
>
>   Zope is distributed on all major linux distributions, but
>   there's no way of tracking those.
>
>   Netcraft asserts that there are 937 servers
>   "reporting themselves as zope",
>   http://www.netcraft.com/survey/Reports/0010/byserver/Zope/index.html

A quick supplement: Debian provides an optional package popularity-contest,
that, if installed and configured, sends a list of the packages installed
on a machine to a central instance. If you look at the results of this
sample of Debian installations, in the section `web packages'
(http://people.debian.org/~apenwarr//popcon/results.web.html), the top 20
are like this:

Package               Vote   Old Recent Unknown

apache-common          461    87    35     0
apache                 457    36    20     0
wget                   434   334    88     0
lynx                   407   169    21     0
junkbuster             163    29     3     0
mozilla                143   145    89     0
squid                  139     2     3     0
htdig                   84    16     2     0
wwwoffle                66     1     1     0
weblint                 60   266    25     0
analog                  58   105    51     0
webalizer               50    48     9     0
zope                    49    15     9     0
imp                     40     1     1     0
apache-dev              38   126    29     0
php3                    37    75    52     0
tidy                    31   127    15     0
boa                     29     1     6     0
konqueror               28     0    50     0
apache-perl             28     4     1     0

(About 924 individual computers submitted results this week.
- Vote: Number of people that use this package regularly.
- Old: Number of people who installed but have not used the package recently.
- Recent: Upgraded the package too recently for stats to be valid.
- Unknown: No files in the package were used in the statistics calculation.)

For sure this is by no way a representative sample of all Debian
installations. FWIW, if it was representative, it would suggest that
Apache was installed on half of all Debian installation, and that Zope was
installed on 5 % of all Debian installations. You could start and multiply
that with an estimate of the number of Debian installations (no idea,
something in between 5e4 and 5e6, I'd guess ;-) to end up with
some 2000 up to 200000 installed Zope Debian packages.

What exactly did Churchill have to say about statistics ?

    Gregor