[Zope] Product removal stress: a plea for help

seb bacon seb bacon <seb@jamkit.com>
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:03:08 +0500

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be a great help to the
newbies out here.  Perhaps I could even do a HOWTO, and lighten the load on the list considerably ;)

I don't have a solution to Alexander's problem quoted below, but it's one I keep hitting and
one that is frequently asked on this list.  In fact it's one I recently
asked for more info on, to no avail.  So I thought I'd add my
voice to the clamour.

Deleting products seems to be a very risky business in Zope.  Things
apparently get left behind in the ZOBD which shouldn't be there.  If I
delete a product that was used at some point elsewhere, I don't just get
broken objects, I get pickled data streaming out of my Zope most of the
time.  Today I had an interesting one: I thought I had cleaned
up thoroughly after an unwanted product, and I was getting no error
messages and no pickled junk on stderr.  The only thing I couldn't do is
add ZClasses, for which I got the error message quoted by Alexander
below (could not load object oid=[random character]).

Please, can any Master Zopician give an explanation:
1) what causes this kind of error?
2) how do you debug it?
3) how do you fix your Data.fs?

Thanks!  Seb.