[Zope] Reasons for Apache?? SSL?? (was "Running Mailman CGI under Zope ZServer")

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:45:52 +0100

<...snip...>

> First, am I really the first person to try running CGI scripts from
> ZServer?  I have found some hints here and there of people doing
> somewhat similar things, but I haven't yet found a product for easily
> adding legacy CGI scripts to a Zope site.  It seems most people run Zope
> behind Apache.  Is ZServer really slow or buggy or something?

<...other good stuff snipped...>

I have a similar question. I am planning and building  a site in which about
50% of the content needs to be accessed using SSL only (it's personal
information and we are using 128-bit SSL).

Since I am only the database&web-guy and not a sysadmin-guy (yet :), I had
one of my colleagues configure Apache and Zope using the "Apache & ZServer"
how to. This works well and Apache serves Zope pretty well and we can even
use SSL (there are some issues to be resolved that I suspect are due to
misconfiguration on our server). However, I can always access Zope directly
using port 8080 (or whatever port where ZServer is listening to) without
SSL.

This is aboviously not the intended behaviour. Is there a way to prevent
this? I know there is ZServerSSL but isn't the whole point of using Apache
that it is a better and more robust web-server than Zserver? (apart from the
fact that we need to serve a lot of static content as well).

What are the main resons for serving Zope behind Apache?

Thanks for any input,

Sincerley,

/dario

Dario Lopez-Kästen     Systems Developer  Chalmers Univ. of Technology
dario@ita.chalmers.se  ICQ will yield no hits    IT Systems & Services