[Zope] [Urgent] Zope good for multiprocessor hardware

Daniel Dittmar dittmar@snafu.de
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:46:19 +0100

I don't think Python (and therefor Zope) will profit from a
multiprocessor as there is something known as the 'global lock' which
prevents more than one Python thread to run at a time.

Things look different if you're accessing a database (other than ZODB)
because a properly written database module will release the lock while
waiting for a reply. So Zope would use one processor and the database
the other one(s).

Other possibilities:

- you have lots of static data, then these could be served by Apache
directly (which would benefit from the additional processor)

- you have some very expensive operations (generating GIFs from data
etc.). Then you could implement those in a separate server.