[Zope] Re: is it possible to run a DTML method without using a browser.

Chalu Kim chalu@egenius.com
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:16:01 -0500

Well, using HTTP to run an application is not the right way to go. It is
because of the nature of HTTP or TCP/IP. There is such naggin thing as time
out and a notion of transaction.

Short answer is to break things into parts; initiation and completion. If a
task takes longer than N minutes, it is reasonable to say it is a
long-running task. So, a good way is to use HTTP to create an event or
initiation. Then, use a daemon to complete. You can run Zope application from
the command line.

Use RPC?  Perhaps install ZEO and use one server to work on ZODB and the
others to serve HTTP requests? This way, you have a delivery machine and a
report machine.

I can ramble on about two things; message queue and guaranteed delivery. For
enterprise (which just means stability and certainty among others), these are
two features I think Zope needs but does not have.

If you can be more specific, it would be helpful but anyway.