[Zope] ZopeWeaver?

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:22:09 -0500

Hello

Thanks for all the comments so far on this topic. Hope to hear more.

I have been looking this morning gain at the Extending Dreamweaver docs.
[on Win32 its typically at
C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 3\Extending\ExtendingHelp.htm ]

It seems to me that by using the XML-based TAGSPEC, and then the Dreamweaver
Javascript DOM, it should be possible to open index_html or anything.dtml in
a fully controlled manner. It looks like this can avoid any dependancy on
Win32.

SOME EXAMPLES:

DWfile.read()
The following code reads the file mydata.txt and, if successful, displays an
alert box with the contents of the file.

 var fileURL = "file:///c|/temp/mydata.txt";
var str = DWfile.read( fileURL);
if (str){
  alert( fileURL + " contains: " + str);
}

In Dreamweaver 3, extensions are no longer limited to working within the
local file system. Dreamweaver now provides a mechansim for getting
information from and sending information to a web server via hypertext
transfer protocol (HTTP). This chapter describes the HTTP API and how to use
it.

MMHttp.getFile()
The following code gets an HTML file, saves all the files in the
Configuration/Temp folder, and then opens the local copy of the HTML file in
a browser:

 var httpReply =
MMHttp.getFile("http://www.dreamcentral.com/people/profiles/scott.html",
false);
if (httpReply.statusCode == 200){
  var saveLoc = httpReply.data;
  dw.browseDocument(saveLoc);

There's lots more, but these seem like the 2 essential ones [+ their
.write() counterparts]

The potential advantages I see for Zope are:

- PROFILE
[improving Zope's general visibility and acceptance for new projects] Having
a set of Zope Dreamweaver Extensions in itself would help promote it.

- WORKFLOW
[making Zopesite development with Dreaweaver much friendlier for
designers/programmers etc.]

- DESIGN
[ better integration with Macromedia's graphic toolset will make it easier
to for professional designers to develop more professional looing ZopeSites]

- FEATURES
[There are many features available now in Dreamweaver3+ which can be
leveraged to prototype and build higher level Zope templates design and
interface]

So my questions are what Javascript 'ZopeWeaver' extensions would you really
like to see?

- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']