[Zope] DC and the PTK?

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:25:46 -0500

Dennis Nichols <nichols@tradingconnections.com> wrote:

> At 11/29/00 03:42 PM, ethan mindlace fremen wrote:

> >>If this implies that you are considering using Zope's PTK, then you
> >>should  be aware of this: You can *not* get commercial support from
> >>Digital  Creations for PTK because PTK is not a released product. If you
> >>think you  may need such support before PTK gets to 1.0, then you had
> >>best not use the  PTK. But that's no reason to not use the rest of Zope.
> >

> >This needs to be clarified.   We actively do consulting with the PTK.
> >If you want to enter into a consulting contract with Digital Creations
> >that involves the PTK, that's not a problem.
> >
> >If you decide you want to use the PTK yourself, there exists a mailing
> >list and a product tracker. (see http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK ) The
> >PTK is under heavy development and is not a full release yet, so that does
> >need to be taken into account if you wish to use it yourself.
>
> What Ethan says, however true it may be, is contrary to my experience. I
> worked on developing a site based on PTK for several months and was within
> a month of going live, but had problems I could not solve, either alone or
> with the help of the mailing lists. I contacted DC via email, explained
> what my problems were, and asked how to arrange for consulting time. That
> was 11 weeks ago, on 10 Sept 2000. The very next day I received an email
> from Gary Graham (gary@digicool.com, Director, Sales & Marketing) stating:
>
> "PTK is a 0.01 release and not commercially supported yet. Zope is
> commercially supported yet. Zope.org is the best PTK source at
> present until we are able to release a commercially supportable
> version."

I think we need to distinguish between "support" and "consulting".
DC is primarily a *consulting* company (we build custom software for
our clients), which also sells support contracts for Zope.  Because
the PTK is not (yet) a "released product", we don't (yet) sell support
contracts for it;  we *do* use it in consulting engagements, however.

Tres.